Open House Finishing Touches ChecklistHelp buyers to gain the very best first impression of your property by spending a little time preparing before your open house. To help you get ready for the event we’ve put together some tips for giving your home those all-important finishing touches:
- Add colour with potted plants and hanging baskets.
- Try to ensure any grassed frontage is not overgrown & pathways are clean and clear
- Make sure it’s clear from coats, shoes etc offering a clear walkway.
- Keep the work surfaces as clear as possible.
- Add a vase or bowl of the same fruit such as apples or oranges, or mixed fruit such as lemons and limes.
- Hide tea towels and oven gloves plus cleaning products.
- If you have a dining table, decorate a couple of place settings with your best dinnerware.
- Spruce up tired furniture with textured accessories such as throws and cushions.
- Add fresh flowers.
- Have limited personal photographs and mementos. Style your shelves and coffee table to have a show home look.
- Where possible, all bedrooms should have a bed in them. Make the beds with bedding that is in excellent condition, plain white works best and add colour through a throw or cushions.
- Keep surfaces clear and hide the majority of lotions and potions.
- Remove the majority of toiletries from your sink, bath and shower.
- All towels should be matching, preferably a plain colour and be new or in excellent condition.
- Toilet seats should be down.
- Add colour by freshly planting flower beds and potted plants.
- Remove any toys.
- Clear any weeds and ensure all lawns are mowed.
- Your home should smell fresh with no strong smells from e.g. food from the night before.
- It is true the smell of fresh coffee or baking adds to the ‘homely’ feel.
- Try to add natural scents where possible before using artificial.
- Lightly scented “plug ins” could also be used.
- It is also advisable to leave a few windows open to allow the fresh air to flow through.
- We love our pets but they are a no when it comes to open houses, so make sure your pet and all of their belongings are not present during a the open house.
- Make use of as much natural lighting as possible, open curtains and blinds.
- Lights and lamps should be turned on where required.
- Make sure the heating is at a comfortable temperature not too hot or too cold.