How to have a stress free moving dayMoving home is often one of the most stressful life events, but it’s also exciting too. Getting organised and being prepared will minimise your stress levels and help the big day go smoothly.
Here are some tips to help you have a hassle free moving day:
1. Start packing well in advance of moving day, don’t wait until the last minute to start. Declutter and get rid of anything you don’t really want to keep before you move. The less you have to move, the better! Charity shops are a great place to donate unwanted items or selling online can help you raise a bit of money whilst giving your things a new lease of life.
2. Make sure everything is packed securely in boxes with tape and bubble wrap to avoid any upset if items get damaged.
3. Label boxes well, stating which room it’s for and the contents. This will make unpacking much easier for you.
4. Give a last minute check over of every room before you leave making sure you haven’t left anything behind. Don’t forget to note down your meter readings for the utility companies and leave any spare keys and instructions for the heating, alarm system etc. for the new owner of your property.
5. Ask someone to look after your children and pets for the day of your move. Having them out the way for a day or two really will minimise the stress levels for everyone.
6. Make a box of essential, easily accessible items for the day e.g. cleaning supplies, toiletries, bin bags, bedding, phone charger, medication, tools, pen and paper, kettle, snacks and drinks etc. Also, make sure to include a menu of a takeaway near to your new home as you’ll certainly be hungry by the end of moving day!
7. Once you’re in your new home build your bed first; with all the excitement and stress you will be exhausted by the end of the day. Having then to make your bed is not fun, so make it first and make sure you get a decent nights sleep.
8. And finally, don’t overdo it and stress about doing a lot of unpacking that evening, instead put your feet up, open up a bottle of bubbly and toast to your new home!